Sunday, November 30, 2008

do you have tact?


Are you a tactful person? The dictionary states that being tactful is being considerate and discreet. Anyway, I think that I am a very tactful person--at least I really hope that I am. Anyway, it mortifies me when people are not tactful. If you can't be considerate or discreet--maybe it is a good thing to be quiet.

So, today, I was sitting in Sacrament Meeting, trying my hardest to have my brain and my heart focus on the speakers. I noticed this person (let's call me Mark) stand up and walk towards the door. Mark has his little one in his arms. Anyway, he stands inside the door rocking his little one. I noticed him and thought to myself--what a great dad. But, the person sitting next to me makes a comment (not in a whisper, but in a regular voice) about him. I was completely mortified. I kept looking straight ahead. I notice out of the corner of my eye that he turned and looked in our way. I pretended (oh-how I pretended) that I was so in tune with the speakers and that I had not heard or said what was just mentioned. He just stared in our direction. I was mortified. Yes, 100% mortified. I could not believe what she had said. Oh, I hope that he did not think that I had said it.

So, my question...what would you do in this situation? I could not believe what happened. In fact, I am still mortified over the whole situation. I just want to pretend that I was not apart of it--but the problem is--I was sitting right there and the person who made the comment was talking to me. Even though, I did not respond...I was still part of it. So, my question to the few readers that read my blog...what do I do now? What would you do in my situation? YIKES!!

4 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

Oh, that's awkward! I don't know what I would have done in the situation-probably the same as you, pretended nothing happened!

Gerb said...

Well, hindsight is 20/20, of course, but (depending on what was said) I would have turned to the person speaking and given them "the look". I agree with vieve, though - awkward.

Ammie said...

I had that happen to me on the elevator. The person with me was making fun of another person on the elevator. She thought she was being quiet! It was so embarrassing!! Why do people need to be rude.

Maleen said...

That is awkward. It really does depend on what was said, but I am sure you were right on noticing that it wasn't appropriate. If it was rude enough, I would apologize to the Dad (even if you didn't say it) or perhaps talk to the offender in private sometime. Sadly though, some people who say rude things think they are justified in doing so; it's a pity.