Wednesday, November 19, 2008

things of comfort...

I was just thinking of things that bring me great comfort in my life. As I started listing things of comfort--I found that the list seems to go on and on. But, I think that the one that is pretty close to the top is a big bowl of popcorn. Popcorn is definitely a comfort food for me. It brings those wonderful endorphins into my heart.

Whenever I smell the aroma of popcorn popping or hear the sound of those kernels popping--it brings me back to living at home with my parents. I love that feeling--the feeling of security. Growing up, I would have to say that one of my mom's favorite treats was popcorn. Mom would make a HUGE bowl of popcorn and when she came into the living room--she would have a bowl for each of us. Sometimes she would surprise us by adding things to the popcorn. One of my favorites would be when she would add slices of tart green apples to the popcorn. Oh, deliciousness!! Do you add things to your popcorn? It would be interesting to hear what you add?




P.S. I am grateful for the sense of smell and the sense of taste and for having great parents!!!

4 comments:

Gerb said...

I was going to write a post about this same thing - popcorn was about the only "dessert" we had growing up. My mom made us some almost every time we watched T.V. I used to buy Milk Duds at the movie theater and put them in my popcorn - it was a little sticky, but yummy. At home I add seasoned salt for a little extra kick.

Yay for popcorn!

Ammie said...

I love popcorn! We used to always have it every sunday night with slices of cheese. With the old fashion popcorn popper.

julie said...

popcorn seems to be a social food. Eaten at movie theaters and in front of the TV at home, but usually with someone. I remember staying with a friend when i was in junior high and her mother brought in a great big bowl of popcorn and she put a whole cube of butter in it. Was it ever heavenly.

¡Vieve! said...

Popcorn is soo good-I love to eat it with chocolate frosting. If you haven't, you need to try it sometime.