Sunday, November 23, 2008

...you look like...



Have you ever felt good about the way your hair looked? Have you ever felt good about the outfit that you were wearing? Have you ever just felt good? Well, everything was that way when I woke up this morning. My hair went the way that I wanted it. I really liked my outfit that was listed on my calendar to wear to church. (Yes, I do have a calendar that lets me know what I am wearing on any given day.) I felt great. My sweet little niece spent the night and was going to church with me--things were great. Spending time with Brylie always brings a smile to my face!!

Sacrament meeting--we had a family sit with us. Their dad is in the Bishopric and their mom was out of town. So, there were 5 children with Melanie and I. Things were going great. Keeping 5 children quietly entertained, referring fights, making sure that each one got the equal amount of vanilla wafers and yes, the list goes on an on....I just have one question...parents-when do you have time to listen to the speakers?

Sunday School rolled around and I started to feel a little hot. But, I chalked it up being in a small room with lots of people.

Relief Society was next. I found myself getting hotter and hotter.

Afterward, a lady came up to me and said, "Michelle, you look like crap." I kind of was taken back...and said, "Uh, am I suppose to say thanks to that?" Then, she realized what she said. Then, she went on to apologize and explain. She said that when I walked into Sacrament Meeting, she loved my hair and my outfit and everything. But, she said that in Sunday School, I started to go a little pale and throughout Relief Society she kept noticing that I was becoming paler and paler. So, then, she added...you have no color and she was worried that I was going to pass out--so, that is what she meant by "Michelle, you look like crap." Would you ever say that to someone that you really don't know? I, probably, would not--at least I would hope that I would not.

As for my paleness...I realized when I arrived home that I had not eaten anything since Saturday afternoon. So, my paleness in color is explainable...after a bite to eat and a nap...I felt much better. Boy, I hate it when my blood sugar drops drastically. But, my advice to you...don't tell someone that they look like 'crap'--it might just might destroy their day!!!




P.S. I am grateful for food and a nap.

5 comments:

Cami said...

To answer your question: parents - when do you have time to listen to the speakers...you don't. At least I don't.

I called my mom one Sunday afternoon after a particularly horrible Sacrament meeting with my little kids. I asked her why I even went to church when I don't get anything out of my meetings.

Her reply shocked me. "You are not going to church for yourself at this point in your life. You go to church to teach your kids that you go to church."

After that, I looked at attending my meetings in a whole new light. And you know what?!? It's not so bad!

Cami said...

And I will think twice before telling someone they look like "crap."

Thanks for the head's up on that one!

¡Vieve! said...

I never would tell anyone they look like crap! Telling someone they look tired is also bad-I hate that!

Gerb said...

Amen to what Cami said.

Maleen said...

I am happy to say that I have never said someone looks like crap, and you NEVER do for the record.
And yes, Sacrament meeting is trying sometimes. That is why I joined choir, so I can stand and sing sometimes (away from kids). I do like singing though to begin with.