Monday, November 7, 2011

22 days later…

Often when I am talking with a young woman who is struggling about who they are, I will challenge them to write 100 things that they like about themselves. If they are struggling with a friend, I challenge them to write 100 things that they like about that person. At first they don’t take me serious but by the end of the conversation, they have accepted the challenge. Days, weeks, and sometimes months goes by and eventually they will let me know that they accomplished the task that was asked of them. 

Well, a little over a month ago…actually, it was on October 13th…I was talking with a friend of mine.  I was not in the most positive and uplifting mood.  I had had a day of complete frustration and I was not too happy with a few people in my life.  As I was describing my day, I made a few comments that probably should have been left inside of my brain. Immediately, my friend challenged me to write 100 things of why I love life.  I told her that I was just frustrated and that I didn’t need to write a list of things on paper to prove that I loved life.  She didn’t back down.  1107111715-00 (2)

22 days later…I finished my list.  At first, I thought it was the dumbest thing that anyone could ever challenge me to do.  (Yes, I even rolled my eyes when she suggested such a bizarre thing).  I am sure that is similar to what the young women have thought when I have assigned them their own little challenges.  As time went on, I became more excited to find out why I love life.  I know that you would be bored if I listed all 100 things…so, I will only share a few that bring a smile to my heart. 

  • 10.  I love life because…I can purchase Diet Coke for 25 cents at DHI.  Aw…this is a great day to be alive.    
  • 18. I love life because…I had the most powerful experience tonight teaching about Charity…the pure love of Christ. Definitely a great day to be alive.
  • 40. I love life because…I believe in the power of the atonement. I am grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. It is a beautiful day!
  • 68. I love life because…I love to laugh! Laughter brings so much happiness and excitement in life. I love life!
  • 89. I love life because…I have toilet paper. I don’t want to think what it would be like if I we didn’t have that.  So grateful to be alive.
  • 99. I love life because…I love Strawberry ice cream and it always brings a smile to my face. Definitely, a great day to be alive!

I am grateful for a sweet friend who was inspired enough to challenge me think of 100 reasons why I love life.  Some are silly and some or serious but all in all…I do love life and there are many reasons why.  If you haven’t had a chance to make a list of why you love life…try it!  I can guarantee that you will look at things a little bit differently. 

~Michelle

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

This is a great idea, making this list. I'd attempt something similar, but I'm afraid I'd only get to like, 10 items. :(