Wednesday, November 24, 2010

promptings

telephone Have you ever had a prompting to call someone but you have no idea why?  Have you ever had a prompting to drop by someone’s home but you have no idea why?  What about sending a note in the mail?  Have you ever had a prompting to do something…anything but you are unsure the reasoning behind it? When you act upon it, you feel kinda…weird or embarrassed.  You are not sure what the other person is thinking…so, you try to muster up some sort of reason why you did what you did.  Instead trying to figure out why, we should just share that you had a prompting to do what you are doing. 

Well, let me share with you a story.  I won’t go into much detail.  This past week was a crazy one for me.  I had so much going on and let’s just say there was a lot of emotions.  I will admit that I was struggling.  I won’t share details…wouldn’t want to bore you or think that I was seeking after sympathy.  Anyway, I was sitting at my desk…just sitting.  Thoughts and more thoughts were going through my head.  I was trying to figure out some things but was unsure of how (or IF)  I wanted to figure them out when my cell phone rang. 

The person on the other end of the phone was responding to a prompting that he/she just experienced.  No, he/she did not solve all my problems…not even close.  Did I share my thoughts with that person? No, I did not.  Basically, I just listened and listened.  One thing that I did recognize was that I needed a friend that cared to know how I was doing.  Could it have been anyone?  Of course, it could have.  I have lots of friends and loving parents.  The point is…he/she received a prompting and then acted upon it. 

How many times in our daily lives do we get a prompting to call, to visit, to write a letter or note to someone and we choose not to?  Why?  I know that there has been many times where I have felt to embarrassed to act.  Well, that night, I decided that I am going to do better.  When I receive a prompting to do something, I will try my hardest to act upon it.  It meant a lot to me when someone acted on a prompting in my behalf. Maybe we cannot solve their problems, maybe we can’t rescue them from their life, or maybe we physically can not do anything for them…but if we act on a prompting, we might be able to make this world a much better place.  What do you think?  I know that I am going to try and be better when receiving promptings. 

~Michelle

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

I always get so nervous when I'm acting on what I think is a prompting! Luckily, they usually end ok, but oh man! I'm glad someone had one to give you a call - means someone's looking out for you!