Tuesday, November 27, 2012

It happened on my run…

My headphones in my ears, music playing from my cell phone, I started running my normal route.  As I rounded the corner near the high school, my music stopped playing.  I stopped to see what was going on.  I fiddled with the buttons and the music started again.  I placed my headphones back in my ears.  I looked up and noticed a…

2012-10-05_18.25.35milkweed plant.

I haven’t seen one of the plants in such a long time.  Memories started flooding my mind.  My grandpa  had a bunch of these milkweed plants in his backyard.  Every year, he would take me out to these plants and we would catch caterpillars.  (Ok…he would catch them…I couldn’t touch them…I was too squeamish). We would place pieces of this plant inside jars, punch holes in the lids, place the caterpillars carefully back on the milkweed and wait…and wait…and wait.  They would eventually turn into Monarch butterflies and we would set them free.  I loved spending time with my grandpa.  I miss him so much.  I started on my run with tears flowing down my face. 

Then, I came upon this place, a place where my a little home once stood…

2012-10-05_18.37.44

my grandparents home

In the middle of this yard, sat a little two bedroom home.  I spent a lot of time at my grandparents home.  It was a place I felt so secure.  I stood there for quite some time just looking at this empty lot.  I remembered the beautiful rose garden that was planted on the edge of their property.  I loved those roses…all different kinds and colors. I remembered the ditch that was on the East of their home where we would play in when they were irrigating.  I remembered the fun games we played with our cousins at family barbecues.  I remember sitting with Grandma on her front porch rocking back and forth on her rocking bench.  As I grew up, I remember the many times I mowed their lawn for them.  I remember watching BYU basketball and football games with Grandma. Memories just flooded my mind of these two incredible people. 

I miss my Grandma and Grandpa. 

Today, we would have been celebrating Grandpa’s birthday.  Happy Birthday Grandpa!  I love and miss you!!

~Michelle

P.S.  I am grateful for a wonderful Grandpa and Grandma.  They brought me my amazing Mom. 

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

That story brought a little tear to my eye. What great grandparents you must have had, with so many memories. :)