Tuesday, November 20, 2012

If you…

I was going through some files on my computer and came across a document that was unfamiliar to me.  I opened it up and following words popped up on my screen…

“If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.—Fred Rogers

manchester-terminal

 photo from here

About three years ago, I was walking through the airport in Paris, and I passed an Indian woman who gave me such a beautiful smile . . . I can still see her face. Her smile was just what I needed in that moment, and it filled me with hope and goodness. Although there was not a single word spoken, I felt so much love and energy from her smile.

Never underestimate the impact that you can have in single meeting or act of kindness. An insignificant smile could be just what a passerby needs in that moment.

Be aware of the way in which you interact with each person you come in contact with today. Be intentional about sharing a positive word or a smile. Remember that you leave a bit of yourself in every interaction . . .

what is it that you will leave with others?

What do you leave with others?  I often wonder what I leave with those I come in contact with and those that I happen to pass by.  Is it a positive word or smile?  As I reread that story of the Indian woman in Paris, I wonder if I have ever impacted someone like that.  I don’t think that we really know what we do for others.  Wouldn’t it be great if we were more willing to share with others the importance that they played in our life…in a moment when life seems so difficult and filled with trials…wouldn’t it be nice to know that someone impacted our life or how we impacted theirs?  Would it change how we feel, how we acted, how we viewed our trials and challenges?  I ponder these thoughts often. 

~Michelle

P.S. I am grateful for many people who are in my life that help me when things seem unbearable.  Those are the people that truly impact my life.

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

That is a great story and a good quote. I never really think that seeing someone for just a second will change their life at all. I need to think harder about how I talk/smile/look at others!