Monday, December 3, 2012

How do you end your conversations?

phone-callsA while ago, I was having a not-so-pleasant conversation with a friend of mine. She was expressing that she did not like the way that I ended conversations. She said that my tone in my voice changes. I have been puzzled about this comment since she shared her observation with me.

So…I have been being ever so observant when people end conversations. I have been taking note of what they say and how they say it. As I stood in the grocery line, put gas in my car, ate at restaurants, shopped, and worked… I took note of the words said and the tone of their voice. There were some that were surprisingly filled with anger; there were those that you could tell that they really enjoyed talking to whom they were talking with; there were those that were simply annoyed. For the most part, it was in the same tone as they were talking previous to closing the call. I am confused.

Another thing that I found interesting was what people say when they are finished with the call.

“Bye”

“Goodnight.”

“I love you.”

“See you soon.”

“Talk to you later.”

“Okey dokey.”

“Adios”

“Goodbye.”

“Talk to you sometime”

Some…just hang up without saying anything.  Interesting.

So, my dear blog reader, I have a few questions for you. Have I ever had a telephone conversation with you? If so, did you notice if my tone changed? How did I end our conversation? How do you end your conversations? Do you notice if your tone changes? I am interested to know.

Tonight, I was watching a HALLMARK movie, Christmas in Boston. It is about two people who have been pen pals since they were in grade school. I think that they said that they have been writing and emailing each other for thirteen years. At the end of every letter, they close with saying, “See you under the moon.” I loved that little closing of a conversation.

Just thinking…

~Michelle

4 comments:

Angela said...

people that say i love you if your not comfortable with saying it back can be strange but ive got used to it. I have talked to you on the phone and you were nice sounded great to me.

Gerb said...

I have never felt like our conversations have ended awkwardly. Just keep being you!

¡Vieve! said...

I feel confident in saying that our conversations have always ended pretty well. Evenly-paced tone, the words used were pleasant, all in all, I'd give an A for our end-of-conversations.

Maleen said...

I've never really thought about endings, but I do know one lady that doesn't say anything and it drives me crazy. I never know when we are done on the phone. So...I don't mind what kind of ending, as long as there is one.