Sunday, December 5, 2010

Visiting Teaching

poinsettia I love visiting with people. I love to listen to them talk.  I love to hear the sound of their voice.  I love to try and figure out what they are thinking.  I love to hear of their experiences from wonderful ones to the challenging ones.  I love to listen to them talk about the many details of their lives.  I just enjoy being around people.  I REALLY do!

Then…why is it so difficult to have the excitement to do my visiting teaching.  I really struggle with that calling.  I struggle with making the phone call, walking (or driving) to their home, knocking on their door and stepping into their homes.  I am not sure what it is but I REALLY struggle with it. I love who I visit teach…that is definitely not the problem.

I visit three wonderful ladies in my ward.  They have had so many wonderful and challenging experiences in their lives.  I love to listen to their stories.  I feel of their incredible spirits.  They are amazing sisters in the gospel.

Today, I went and visited each one of them by myself.  My visiting teaching companion is in Florida on vacation.  I knew with the festivities of this month, I would really be pushing it to get them visited if I waited until later in the month.  So, with a poinsettia and a Christmas card in hand, I visited each one of them.   I came away from each visit renewed with the wonderful blessing of service.  I am REALLY grateful that they are apart of my life and I know that I receive such wonderful blessings through visiting teaching…but it is a HUGE struggle.  Why?  I just do not understand.

~Michelle

2 comments:

Angela said...

your so wonderful

¡Vieve! said...

It is such a struggle to do that for me too! At least you can go ahead and still do it-that's awesome!