Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Moments of gratitude!

Snowy Day 009_thumb Today was a day that was full of gratitude for me. I really don’t want to bore you with the many details of the events that happened in my extremely busy day so, I decided to highlight a few things!!

1.  I am grateful for quiet moments this morning where I read my scriptures.  For some reason, I knew that I needed to feel that extra peace today.

2.  I am grateful for the prompting to visit a sweet friend (Gerb) in the hospital. Acting on this particular prompting, I had a couple of amazing experiences full of so much gratitude.  Let me share…I walked past the newborn nursery.  I looked through the window as I passed and four nurses turned and stared at me. I thought to myself…did I do something wrong? Nope!  As I rounded the corner to Gerb’s room, I hear, “Michelle!”  I turned to see who was calling my name.  It was a leader that I had when I was a little girl.  She has always been dear to my heart.  I spent a lot of time at her home when I was little.  I babysat her sweet children.  As we stood and talked, I shared with her how important she was to me.  Memories just flowed through my brain and into my heart.  I remember her teaching me when I had questions that I did not understand.  I remember feeling comforted when I was sad.  I remember feeling so welcome in her home. I knew that she loved me. 

When I became our ward’s young women president, I took the opportunity to write down what type of leader that I wanted to be like.  She had so many Christ-like qualities that I wanted to develop.  I will always be grateful for her in my life.  I hope and pray that I never was rude or mean to her. As I shared with her the impact that she had in my life, tears started flowing from both of our eyes.  I know she knows how important she is.  I felt it.

3.  Then, I entered Gerb’s room.  I love this friend.  She is incredibly important to me.  She has gone through so much in the past few days...a new baby and surgery on a broken & dislocated foot. But amongst the great amount of pain she is in, she still was her amazing self.  I am grateful for her friendship.  As I held her beautiful baby, I was overcome with the amazing love that our Heavenly Father has for each one of us.  While Gerb was with the physical therapists, I had the privilege of holding her sweet new arrival.  As I was holding him, I was looking at his adorable little face.  Then something struck my heart, this little guy had just left the presence of our Heavenly Father—what an amazing peaceful experience.  I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes.  I just kept staring at this little guy.  He was just in his heavenly home surrounded by loved ones and now he is here for everyone else to love. 

I am sorry that Gerb had to have physical therapy but I am glad that I had a few moments with her precious little one! 

4.  My mom told me that she had read or heard that naps are important to have.  So, I am grateful for the quick nap at my parent’s home.  Their home is so peaceful and warm.  I curled up in a quilt and fell fast to sleep. Oh, what a refreshing few minutes.  It was much needed and I am indeed grateful for it.

5.  I am grateful for the amazing youth in our stake.  I am so grateful for each one of them especially, my sweet young women.  Tonight, we had our Stake Youth Celebration and there was so much energy running through the stake center.  It was awesome!    Pres. Bell spoke, we watched a message from the Prophet, ate pizza, played games, danced, danced and danced some more.  Of course, there was plenty of laughter and giggling going on throughout the entire building.  It was so much fun.  I love being around the youth.  I hope that they don’t think that I am too crazy.  They just bring so much fun and excitement into my life.  I love it!!  I love my calling and I am so grateful for it. 

6.  When the festivities were over, we had several youth stay and help clean up.  It was awesome.  The building was cleaned in no time at all.  As they were leaving, I asked my young women if they would text me to let me know that they arrived home safely.  The roads were icy and I worried about them traveling.  Those that I asked to text me, did.  All were safe at home. YAHOO!!

I had been home a few minutes and was getting ready for bed when I received a text from a young woman in our stake.  She wanted to make sure that I had arrived home safely.  OF course, this brought tears to my eyes.  I am grateful for that sweet text.  She worried about me as much as I worried about her getting home.

Aw….what a great day!  I am grateful for so many things in my life. 
Goodnight!

~Chelle

1 comment:

Gerb said...

Michelle, I was so GRATEFUL to have you come visit, my dear friend! It made my whole day so much better. you are thoughtful and sweet and kind. Thank you so much for being you.