Thursday, January 17, 2008

"want a 'puh-ssage'?"

Growing up my little brother could not say the letter "M". Instead he would pronounce it "puh". So things like Michelle would be "puh-chelle." Anyway, he would always come up to me and ask, "would you like a puh-ssage?" Let me translate: "Would you like a massage?" My answer would always be "no--go give one to Mom."

If you know me, I suffer from "spacial issues." I like my space. Better yet, I LOVE my space. I don’t like it when people stand too close unless I invite them in to my space. Anyway, I have lots of friends who like to interfere in my space and try to drive me absolutely crazy!!! One friend, in particular, has tried to get me to overcome this spacial anxiety. Her plan of attack has been quite entertaining for those with whom I work with. Believe me, I always have to have my guard up.

Side note: At the place that provides my income, we have 3 massage therapists that visit 3 days a week. Everyone in the company has the opportunity to have a massage at least once a week. Now, this might sound so exciting for those of you that do not suffer from space anxiety. As for me, I get all creeped out just thinking of it. People touching you....people in your space....what a creepy feeling!!

Anyway, my dear friend has put it on her "to accomplish" list to get me to have a massage. I do not know how many times I have told her "NO"! But, she does not seem to get it. So....a few weeks ago, (after a year of bugging me each day) she talked me into having one. I guarranteed her that I was not going by myself. So, she had it scheduled for her, my SIL and ME to receive a massage at the same time.

You can just imagine the anxiety that crept into every vein, nerve, muscle of my whole being. But, I did it--swearing never to return. So, once again, she talked me into having another one. Believe it is much more work walking down that hallway to get a massage then working a 12 hour shift!!!!

And....again...today, I had another one. Oh, my, this time it was great....okay, not the massage, but they had a heater in the room--right next to my chair. I had been freezing all morning in my office and the warmth of the heater was a complete blessing. Thank you massage therapist #3 for placing the heater by my chair. As for "puh-ssages", I still despise them and can think of a lot of words that start with "puh" that describes how I feel about them. But for today, I did see one advantage--the warmth of the heater on a very cold day.

5 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

I'm telling you right now, I'll have these barriers broken down soon. You'll be scheduling these babies for yourself. And...asking me for hugs instead of me forcing them upon you. You wait, you'll see.

Maleen said...

I may have to start hugging you randomly as well. As for massages, I don't get the big deal either. I don't mind giving them, but I don't really like getting them. It is not a space thing at all for me, since I love hugs and back scratches and snuggling with Tyler and my girls, but massages...eh....they're okay.

Gerb said...

I love massages. I would probably love puh-ssages, too. Here's my plan:

Have a massage party where circle foods are served and flying rodents wander throughout the crowd.

You'll definitely be invited.

Ker said...

LOL- I LOVE puh-sages! I could have one everyday and still LOVE them. But to be honest with you, I totally see you not liking them. You crack me up silly Michelle! Hey thanks for the great day today!

mE said...

Oh Michelle!

I am sad for u and spacial issues! There is nothing like a GOOD MASSAGE! Perhaps you could talk to your dr about it and have him/her prescribe a valium for you and go see a regular massage therapist. You'd be amazed how wonderful they are when you're not all tensed up that someone is in your space!

{cyber} hugs!

E.