Saturday, January 12, 2008

a christmas party and a fire truck--they do not go great together

A Christmas party and a fire truck--they do not go great together. I am glad that they did not happen together. UGH!! That would have been a nightmare!!! See, tonight, we had a Christmas party. Yes, I know Christmas is over and done with, but we had one more party. I did not have to decorate since the decorations are still up!! I have been waiting to take them down after our Christmas Party. Actually, we had planned this party in December, but December became so busy that we had to hold off until January. So, tonight was the night!!! I was so excited to take pictures. I took the before pictures... the formal table setting. We had Chicken Cordon Bleu (thank Melanie!), potatoes (thanks Sariah), delicious green salad (thanks Lisa), yummy green beans (thanks Mary) and the most delicious drink (thanks Celeste).

For dessert, we got out my Chocolate Fountain and had delicious marshmallows, angel food cake, cinnamon bears, cookies, and fruit all dipped in chocolate!! So much delicious-ness!!

We talked, laughed, talked, and laughed so more. It was great fun!!! At around, 12-midnight, our guests were leaving. We had just shut the door to the last guest, when our GAS explosive alarm went off!!! OH HOLY CRAP!!! YEP, that is exactly what I yelled!!! We could not reset it--so 911 was called. If you had read one of my previous blogs--you would have noted that this has happened to us before. My roommate hands me the phone and I call. This time, the 911 operator was a tad big ornery!! After giving her the information, she tells me to evacuate the building and that help is on the way. As we were standing outside (in the cold), she asks if we feel safe. I said, "um, yes." Then, she tells me that help is on the way and that she is going to hang up. As I heard the dial tone on the phone, I looked at the phone--a tad bit surprised. This was definitely not the same 911 operator I had before. This one did not seem to care at all.

Finally, another 5 minutes goes by and the fire truck and ambulance show up. One of the dudes gets out of the fire truck and asks if I called 911. I told him that I did and he said as he is looking around--"Then, what is the problem?" Confused--thinking that the 5 minutes on the phone with 911 would have been transferred over to the fire dude!! I told him what was going on. Okay, by this time, I have decided that these guys are not happy to be here nor do they want to really help. For the next 15 or so minutes, these guys were rude and very condescending. They did get the alarm to shut off--wow!! I was proud of them for that (but that is about all I was proud of). It was apparent that we woke them up. One was leaning against the door with his eyes closed. I guess, the 'better be safe then sorry' does not go well with them. I could go on and on about this--but it makes me furious. I know that next time, I will think twice before calling---but I know that I will call. Thanks to the previous fire fighters for their nice-ness. As for these 4 that showed up tonight, I am truly sorry that you were woke up from your slumber and hope that I never need your help!!

As I am retiring to bed tonight...I am thankful for my awesome friends--their laughter and happiness and most of all, I am grateful that we did not have the alarm go off until AFTER they left!!! Oh, sorry neighbors, for scaring you all once again with the fire truck and ambulance!!!

3 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

You have got to be one of the most unlucky person ever! Hopefully the people who helped you out realize that they were so rude!

Cami said...

What a horrible experience. Do not let this hinder you from calling the next time you have a gas problem.

Hopefully, they realize how they treated you, and won't do that to someone else.

I've only had to call 911 once, and luckily for me, it was a good experience. Everyone was so helpful and kind. I just hope that I won't have to make any more 911 calls.

Maleen said...

As a mother I feel that sometimes when I answer with less than a positive attitude my girls must think, 'Holy raunch, I hope I don't need her help any time soon.' Of course, they don't get a lot of choice. But I hope you get the nice fire-fighters next time.