Sunday, January 20, 2008

anyone need a talk...I am starting a file...

This past week, I was walking past the Bishop's office when one of his counselors asked me to step into the clerks office and visit. Another Bishopric member from a different ward was standing in the hall--might I add--he was laughing a tad bit. He said, "Oh, Michelle, they are going to ask you to speak." I said, "I just spoke 3 weeks ago in my ward--they are not planning to ask again so soon." Guess what? He asked. Ok, some people find it scarey to speak in front of lots of people--as for me--I love the adrenalin feeling. Yep, go ahead, "JUST CALL ME CRAZY!!" I even got to speak on my favorite subject--the youth of the church.

Anyway, when I finished preparing my talk today, I re-read it and prayed that it was just what someone needed to hear. I hope that there was someone in the congregation that needed to hear what I said today. Ok, I just might add...I felt an over abundance of excitement with the quotes that I found in my talk. I am not sure who's life it touched--but I know that through the Spirit that someone's was touched.

Afterwards, I received a few comments. One comment came from a little old lady in our ward. I get nervous when they state their opinions. Ever since Gerb shared with me a comment that she received when she cut her hair, I just get all nervous inside when speaking to the older generation. Anyway, this sweet lady comes up to me.

"Michelle, I just wish that they would quit asking you to speak."

Imagine me....the tears are starting to come at anytime now. I am sure my mouth was open because it just hit the floor. I was starting to hypervenilate. Panic started to rush clear through my whole body!! You can surely picture it--it was scarey. THEN...

Then, she went on to say...

"Every time you speak, I feel something and I start to cry and I do not want to cry at church."

Okay, that made me feel a lot better. I was not sure how I would have responded to a different comment. I am not as strong as Gerb...I cry lots!!!! Yes, HUGE HUGE tears!!!

Another comment that came was--"I can see you speaking in General Conference someday!" With that comment, I turned around, burst out laughing and headed out of the church. (Oh, I was on my way home--anyway. She did not cause me to leave the church--ok, just not yet!)

Oh, I love one of the quotes that I found and of course I want to share it with you all. Elder Holland said,

"Be a woman of Christ. Cherish your esteemed place in the sight of God. He needs you. This Church needs you. The world needs you. A woman’s abiding trust in God and unfailing devotion to things of the Spirit have always been an anchor when the wind and the waves of life were fiercest. I say to you what the Prophet Joseph said more than 150 years ago: "If you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates."

Anyone need a talk....I am starting to create an amazing file of quotes!!!

5 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

When I have to do a talk (God forbid) I'm so coming to you to use your vast knowledge! You are simply amazing!

Gerb said...

I bet my husband would be happy to have you speak in our ward this month...he's in conducting. =0)

Gerb said...

Um, he's not IN conducting, just conducting. Where did that "in" come from??

Maleen said...

I'm confused...was this the third time they asked? Or was this still the time after Stake Conference? I'm just sad that you never invite me to listen ;(

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle---thanks for commenting on my blog!! I am very excited to move back to ward so that we can hear you speak...oh and I love that quote...I hope that I can live my life so that angels can not be restrained from me!!!