Thursday, October 23, 2008

My newest motto: "I can do hard things!!"

As of late, my motto is "I can do hard things!" I know I can. I have been tested--but with the promises in the scriptures--we can not be tested more than we can bear. Tonight, we had our Stake Auxiliary Training Meeting. Since I am in the Stake Young Women's Presidency, I was asked to speak. I have had this talk on my mind for quite sometime. I was not sure exactly what I should present, but I knew that in time, I would be able to feel impressed of what to direct my thoughts toward.

So, this is how I came to write my talk. I had Stake visits on Sunday. I had an hour and half between visiting another young women's ward in our Stake so, I chose to attend my ward's Sunday School class. In fact, I felt like I really needed to attend. So, I did. It was the most amazing and inspiring lesson that I have heard in a long time. Our Sunday School teacher started to talk about the characteristics of Christ. As he listed the characteristics on the board, everything seem to fall into place. I felt the importance that we need to take the characteristics that describe our Savior and develop them. As we develop these amazing characteristics, we can teach the youth to lead by our example. I had found a few quotes to add, some scriptures to add and then, a couple of experiences.

I was assigned to make the handout with the new 2009 mutual theme. So, I worked into the early hours of this morning and with the help with from Vieve--we were able to get those finished. But, the plan for the talk, I still needed to work on it.



But, an hour before the meeting, I still had not figured out how to direct my thoughts. So, I sat down at my computer and started typing. The words were flowing and I was getting more and more excited to teach. I knew that our Heavenly Father wanted the young women leaders to feel what I was feeling.

I finished getting ready, grabbed my papers, scriptures, centerpiece and our handout. I drove to the Stake Center feeling a lot better that everything was coming together. I carried my centerpiece into the Stake Center. Then, I went back to my car to grab my talk, scriptures and my handout. As I went to fold my papers (my talk) and put them in my scriptures...the papers that I held in my hand is not my talk. WHAT?!!!

I had left my talk at home. I did not have time to go back and grab my talk. Thank goodness the YW president (Tracy) had brought her young women's binder. I searched through the materials and found the two quotes that I needed. Knowing that the Stake President would speak for at least 20 minutes, I had time to write down some thoughts.

Well, that was not the case. A member of the Stake Presidency stood and opened the meeting and explained that the Stake President was out on assignment and we were now dismissed to our breakout session. WHAT? Yes, it was time to teach.

I am grateful that I love to teach and to speak. Let me share something with you...as I stood to present my talk, words just popped into my head and into my heart to share the things that I needed to share. I am grateful for this wonderful experience. I know that the young women leaders learned and heard what they they needed to hear and feel tonight. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that speaks through the Holy Ghost to help me teach the things that I needed to teach. I really did not need my papers--but, they would have been nice to have as a security blanket.

So, yes, I know that I can do hard things!!



P.S. I am grateful for the privilege of speaking tonight!

5 comments:

Gerb said...

You always give great talks, Michelle. I'm sure it was inspiring!

Ammie said...

you're an amazing lady!! I know you can give a great talk. I loved working with you in Y.W. and I'm glad to hear you are still serving the young women. The Lord really needs you! You're amazing and I learned so much from you.

¡Vieve! said...

I don't know why you worry over talks-you always know you'll do great! Those candy bars look great...

OneBrilliantGirl said...

wow, you are so incredible. and the young women in your ward and stake are SO lucky to have you!

Traci said...

love your post. it reminded me of our stake 'theme' last year. I have Scriptures, I have Knees, I can do hard things. I bet your talk was amazing. :)