Sunday, December 23, 2007

a special Christmas gift from Mom

I am lucky to be apart of a family with lots of traditions. One particular tradition that I absolutely love is one that is a result of my Mom's love for me and my sister-in-laws. Each Thanksgiving, my sweet mother presents to me and my sister-in-law's a special Christmas gift. These gifts are something a long the line's of a Christmas decoration. She has been doing it for years and might I add....I LOVE IT!!! Each gift is from one of her many talents. She is probably the most talented person that I know. The gifts range from flower baskets, hand-sewn table runners, things that are tole painted...the list goes on and on. I have watched her create these amazing gifts. They are created with all her love. Oh, it is amazing.

Well, this year, she had been working on our gift for quite sometime. But, she did not complete it in time for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving came and went. Nothing was said of the special Christmas gift that we did not receive.


Side note: I knew that we would receive them--I was not about to let her put this project away.


A couple of weeks ago, my niece asked if her mom was going to get her special "Christmas Gift" this year. She said that her mom commented how sad she was that there was no special present for her on Thanksgiving. Then, my brother told Mom that his wife was feeling really sad that she did not receive her special gift,either. See, Mom, we do love your special Christmas gifts. In fact, if you happen to walk through my house--most of my decorations are those "Special Christmas Gifts"!


Finally, we now have received our gift. It is a hand-pieced pillow. Each square on this pillow is hand-sewn. These pillows took her hours and hours of stitching. Her stitches are amazing. It looks like each stitch is exactly the same. I know that they are a product of her love. See, my Mom suffers from severe arthritis in her hands. (I have arthritis in one finger and that about kills me on cold days--I can not imagine both hands and fingers!!).


Thanks Mom for ALL of the special Christmas Gifts. We all love them and wait eagerly for the next Thanksgiving!!!

4 comments:

Ker said...

OK so I have come to the conclusion that I want to be a part of your family and your traditions! PLEASE I am waiting for the invite! The pillow is beautiful!

¡Vieve! said...

That pillow is so beautiful! Your mom is amazing for making all of them-and making stuff every year for you guys!

Maleen said...

That truly is amazing. I couldn't make something that nice if I had all year and a sewing machine. I can crosstitch, but not hand sew. I am jealous. Your mom really is amazing. Oh, and I want the pattern for that bead counter thingamabob. Know what I mean?

Gerb said...

Beautiful. I mean, you, your mom and the pillow. And your traditions.