Tuesday, December 4, 2007

sink vs. hair

Being single has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is that when something needs a fix-it, you have to fix it. In all actuality, I have incredible parents. They are always there. When I need something fixed--it is Dad that I call. I know that he gets extremely tired of taking care of his daughter, but he does it!

Well, for the past few weeks, I have been fighting with my bathroom sink. It takes FOREVER to drain. I have tried Liquid Plumber, Draino, bleach, and any other Chinese solution that people have told me to try. THE SINK WILL NOT DRAIN!!! Okay, I know that I have a lot of hair. I know that it is everywhere. One thing, I know is that it loves the drains-whether it is the bathtub drain or the sink drain--it LOVES the drain. I am not sure if it goes there for refuge, but it ends up there all the time. When I go to my parents home to stay, Dad always comments on the amount of hair I leave behind. I swear, I check every drain when I am through--just so Dad can not make that comment. BUT, I seem to never find every strand.

So, I knew the problem with my bathroom sink--HAIR!!! Okay, so, tonight--while brushing my teeth, I became irate!! The sink was not draining!!!! I thought to call my Dad, but he was still at work. SO!!! I took matters into my own hands and disassembled the entire drain system from under my sink. I was amazed at my "handyman" skills.

I am not sure if I was going throw-up or pass out. Other than the sight was horrendous (I think that I could have made a wig out of how much hair was stuck in the pipes), but the smell was absolutely GAGGING!!!

But, I sucked up the "sissiness" in me and got to work. It took me about 45 minutes to get all the hair out of the drain. It was disgusting and yucky!!! Oh, how tonight, I wished that I had a husband to take care of this disgusting task!!! BUT, I was able to accomplish this UGLY, DISGUSTING, SMELLING, HORRENDOUS,... (and the list goes on and on)...TASK!!! I would say that I am pretty proud of myself.

Then, when I put everything back together...

THE SINK DRAINS!!!

5 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

Yea for you! I never would have the handy skills to take apart a drain-you are so my new hero!

Cami said...

Congratulations! I never knew you were such the handy-woman. Kudos to you!

Maleen said...

Hallelujah! That is an accomplishment! I understand it takes determination (or is that desperation) to pull apart the sink. I think I may have done it once, but I quickly turned it over to my handy-man. I'm so proud of you for getting it done by yourself!! You are a super-woman.

Deanne said...

No way!!! I, too, have a plethera of hair, and I, too, have a sink that is slow to drain. I might have to be brave like you to fix it. I don't even know if I'd know how to do it. Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment.

Gerb said...

You go, Michelle! I hate plumbing stuff - can I just call you next time I'm home alone and need a fix-it?