Friday, December 7, 2007

it's better to be safe than sorry


It seems like everyday is an excitement for me. I guess, if you look for fun things to happen they happen...okay, when I wake up every morning THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!!! It is usually quite entertaining. One of the girls at work, Julie, told me that when I get married, my husband is going to have a lot of fun. Okay, I am not sure if that was suppose to be a compliment meaning that I am a hoot to be around or is it that there is so much adventure in my life--he is going to be laughing his head off every second of the day. I bet the answer is the latter.


Well, I had only been home 10 minutes--time enough to find that the washer was not being used, sort my laundry on my bathroom floor and then put a load of laundry in the washer when all of a sudden, I hear this horrific alarm. I sprint to the furnace room--my carbon monoxide/explosive gas alarm is blinking "GAS". I hit the reset button. The alarm will not stop!!! The horrific alarm is still going off. I grab it and run to the kitchen (why I did this--I am not all sure). I read that if the alarm is going off call 911!! So, I disconnect the battery--I could not hear at all. I dialed 911.

"911. What type of emergency do you have?"

"UM. I am not sure if it is an emergency. My carbon monoxide/explosive gas alarm is blinking GAS."

"Are you feeling faint?"

"UM. No."

"What is your phone number?"

I give her my name, phone number and my address.

"Are you having chest pains?"

"UM. No." (other than...I am completely scared too death at this point!)

"Is there anyone else in the house?"

"No."

"You need to exit the house immediately." I, literally, run outside-into the rain!!!

"Are you feeling faint?"

"No."

"Are you having problems breathing?"

"No, I am just scared too death."

"You are okay. Are you breathing okay?" Then, she tells me that when the explosive gas affects you, it hits you pretty fast. So, she kept asking how I was doing and all that kind of stuff.

The fire engine drives up...and the 911 dispatcher waits until the firemen are with me. (What a kind person--ok, ok, I know that is her job--but I thought that she was nice.)

They bring the detectors and they did not find anything wrong. They searched the whole house and there was not any explosive gas. Then for the next 10 minutes, they talked to me and made sure that I understood that it is better to be safe than sorry. They said if the alarm goes off again...do not hesitate to call. They had already responded to several of the same calls today. They said that these detectors have saved 4 families that live in Provo and that I have one of the best detectors. They said that they would have rather came tonight, then to find me dead in the morning. I think that they are correct on that one. I am glad I did not die tonight.


As we were leaving the house, Jen and Sariah showed up. They saw the fire engine and came to make sure all was okay. What great friends and neighbors. Jen noted that one of the fire men was very nice looking. I think that I was too nervous and FREAKED out to really notice.


So, my advice to all of my friends--
it is better to be safe than sorry!!

4 comments:

Gerb said...

Wow - what an adventure! The closest we came to that was when Kobe called 911 because Elle wouldn't let him play on the computer. We were not home. The police called back, no answer, so they CAME TO THE HOUSE! Kobe got in big trouble (from the policeman and his parents), and I am glad to say it hasn't happened again.

julie said...

michelle what a life, you who are so very structured and do need to have inconsistency sometimes to help you stay humble. Even if it needs to be the fire department. I am so glad it was a better safe then sorry. Julie.

Maleen said...

Wow, that is a bit scary. We don't even have one of those monitors because the guy who said he was going to install it is a big fat liar, but you can tell that I have obviously forgiven him. Maybe I need to go say a prayer.

¡Vieve! said...

Now, I know its better safe than sorry, but what makes a cooler story: you maybe had gas in your house, or you got gas poisoning? Then you could bring it up in every situtaion. "Oh, you're ankle hurts? I got gas poisoning!" Think about it.