Tuesday, September 9, 2008

counting my blessings...

Tonight, I came across a book that I had forgotten that I had. I opened it up and memories just seem to flood my brain. On the front cover it says "Counting my Blessings: a journal of things to be thankful for". This journal encourages the keeper of the book to remember 5 things to be grateful for each day. I started it back in 1999-March 13th to be exact. I am not sure what happened on that particular day. I should go back in my journal and find why I chose to write the following things:

1. friends to talk with to pass the time of day
2. little brothers to rescue in time of need
3. pretty things
4. sunshine
5. Movies that make you think, ponder & cry

It was interesting to read through the days, months and years. Amongst the many lines that were written on, I found some of them to bring back such fun memories. I was grateful for:

-toilet plungers
-book stores
-bike rides
-roommate dinners
-doctors--especially very cute doctors (hmm...I wonder about this one...)
-antibiotics to heal the body
-the sound of my Mom's voice
-the ability to count to 10 (I must have had a rough day that day)
-chocolate chip cookies
-time delayed windshield wipers
-cold cereal and milk
-my bed
-compliments-a random lady came up to me and said that I have beautiful eyes
-words of comfort
-grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches
-long walks on the Provo Trail
-pens to write in my journal with
-raindrops--the smell of rain
-naps in the afternoon
-memories
-indoor bathrooms
-laughter


The list goes on and on from 1999 through 2004. There were many that I just laughed and laughed when I read them. They all brought back such great memories. These great memories were filled with laughter and of course, tears. Sometimes life get really difficult, but when you concentrate on finding 5 things that you are grateful for...some of the difficult times aren't so difficult.


I found that there were still quite a few pages to fill. I have decided that it would be great to continue the list of things that I am grateful for in my life.

What are you grateful for today?




P.S. Today, I am grateful for clean desks, ice cold diet coke, phone calls from friends, having dinner with Mom & Dad, the sound & smell of rain...

4 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

Great post! I think today I'm grateful for...a treadmill so's I can run inside, and that the weather is finally cooling down.

Maleen said...

Top of the list...
Blogs (I know I have no life okay?)
Sleep
Good books
A healthy body
Humor

Gerb said...

I love things like this! Today I am thankful for:

sweet baby smiles
rainy, overcast skies
comfortable jeans
treats in my cupboard and
funny things my littlest ones say

Ammie said...

I love this! We all need to be more thankful everyday. I loved the toilet plunger!