Monday, September 29, 2008

pass me the tissues please....


If you know me very well, you know that I have struggled with my immune system for a couple of years. When there is someone with a cold or something that is contagious..I avoid them like the plague. Not because I don't want to show sympathy towards them, but the real reason is I usually catch what ever they have within a 24 hour period or even sooner.

So, Friday, at work, a person in my department started coughing. I thought to myself--"Self--stay clear of her!" I thought that I had listened to my inner voice and maneuvered my way around those stupid germs--but some reason, I was tagged and woke up with a blasted cold. I hate having a cold. It just ruins everything--the head is pounding, the throat is sore and the sneezing and coughing--it just has to go. I am not a fan of these horrible signs of sickness. But, the thing with all of these symptoms--they travel to my voice box. I really hate when this happens. My voice goes a zillion octaves higher--I sound worse than Minnie Mouse. In fact, I had this happen a few years back--it was awful. (Actually, it usually happens every time--but I am trying to tell a story here). Anyway...back to the story.

I had a very high Minnie Mouse voice going on when I answered the phone at work. One of my clients on the other end of the phone burst out in laughter. He was laughing so hard that he could not control himself and had to hang up the phone. From then on I have been known as SQUEAKERS!!! It is not, "How are you doing, Michelle?" or "Michelle, I was wondering about this certain document." No it is, "Hey Squeakers, how are you?" or "Squeakers, I need this document sent to my lawyer on this or that."

So, this morning, I woke up with a raspy voice--not good!!! I could just hear the comments and see that today...was definitely not going to be a good day. Then, I kind of panicked. See, I have been invited by a young women's group to speak at their garden dinner tomorrow evening as their keynote speaker. I need my voice--my normal voice. I tried to limit my voice today--but when you have to talk-you have to talk (ok...when you have to voice your opinion...there is no stopping those vocal cords).

Also, a long with the raspy voice, I have gone through an entire box of tissues. I forgot to grab some this morning on the way to work, so Vieve generously donated her box of tissues to me. I filled my entire garbage can full of tissues today. Well...that got us thinking...where is all this snot (oh, I hate that word) coming from!!! So, Vieve took it upon herself to research this for me today. We (I mean she) found that "Increased mucus production in the upper respiratory tract is a symptom of many common aliments, such as the common cold." And that, "Nasal mucus may be removed by blowing the nose, picking the nose, or by using traditional methods of nasal irrigation." If you want to learn more about mucus go here. As for me, I will down some Night-Time Thera-Flu and pray that I do not lose my voice for speaking assignment.


P.S. I am thankful for tissues and TheraFlu!

3 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

At least your voice yesterday sounded all raspy and sexy instead of the Minnie voice!

I love that one of the way to get rid of nasal mucus is to pick your nose.

Gerb said...

Your description of where SNOT (I love that word!) comes from reminded me of a song Adelaide sings in Guys and Dolls. It's one of my faves.

By the way... what ever happened with your BIG SECRET? (I have not forgotten, lady!)

Ammie said...

michelle, Or dare I say, squeakers! I hope you feel better