Saturday, September 20, 2008

What a Saturday!!!

WOW!! How much can you cram into a Saturday? I think that today takes the cake!! I started early and now I am 100% completely exhausted. This is how my day went...I had a meeting first thing this morning (9:00 am). Then, my card exchange swap at 10:00 am. At 11:00 am, I attended Celeste's baby shower at CPK (California Pizza Kitchen). It was great fun and yummy food!!!

Celeste opening her baby shower gifts!







Celeste opened a lot of pink outfits.


Her little one is going to be dressed in darling pink things!!



OH!! So CUTE!!!



Then, it was a zillion errands of picking up gift certificates for our Multi-Stake dance. Then, I ended up at Mom's to watch BYU stomp all over Wyoming. During half time, Mom, Jessica, Brylie and I ran an errand. As we turned onto my parents street, we noticed 4 police cars at the apartment complex. The police had their guns drawn and we noticed two woman standing close to the building. So, of course, we were a tad bit curious. We drove around the block to see what was going on. We figured it was some sort of domestic violence--not another thought plagued our minds. We returned to Mom's to watch BYU annihilate Wyoming.

Jessica went out to her car and came in yelling that something was going on. We went to the front yard and watched as a group of SWAT team members ran past my parents home.

I realized that I had my camera in hand (I had been taking pictures of my darling niece)...

so, you can see the back of the SWAT team!






There were police everywhere. The media was there and lots of people. They had blocked off my parents street. We noticed a bunch of people on the side of the street so, we walked towards them.
This group had rifles in hand and were going across my Mom & Dad's neighbors lawn.

Right behind us was another SWAT team--this team had the big wood thingy--is it called a "RAM". We approached the group of people and a lady told us that a man had a hostage and was heavily armed. It was scary. We had been standing on the sidewalk for a few minutes when a police officer walked over towards us and told us that we needed to move to the other side of the road. We were in the line of fire. What? How scary is that?




We crossed the street and was talking to Mom's neighbors when another group of SWAT team members came running down the street. This group had their rifles in their hands--ready to approach the situation. We watched for a few minutes then, we went back to my parents front yard. Shad had gone back into the house and was listening to the news. The news said that the man did not have a hostage--his wife had gotten out.



All of a sudden, the SWAT team headed back up our street and it was all over. The man was brought on a stretcher with a white sheet over him...a sad ending!


Then, it was off to our Multi-Stake dance. I was placed in charge of it along with 12 young men and young women. It has taken a lot of planning, but the youth have been fabulous. They have truly worked hard!! I have learned a lot from them. They truly are becoming such great leaders.


Planning stages....


These fabulous youth have planned and planned and planned...finally, it is time to create the decorations...


Sandy cutting out fence posts

Sean, Chase and Travis creating the enormous cow


Mery & Leticia making fence posts...


Leticia, Mery, and JoVan

Josie and Chase





Celeste, Sister Orme & Sam

The planning is finished!!! Time for the dance...we had some fun activities going on during the dance.

Pie eating contest


Donut eating contest

All in all it was a great dance!!! The youth looked as if they were having a great time.

But...I am exhausted...goodnight!!!


P.S. I am grateful for sleep, my bed, ice cold water, SWAT teams & Police Officers.

5 comments:

OneBrilliantGirl said...

Wow! Lots of excitement on your Mom's street. Great job on the play by play, by the way. :) I'm glad everyone in your family was safe. And, of course I can't end the post witout saying, GO BYU!

¡Vieve! said...

That is so much for a Saturday! Luckily you lived through it all!

PS I love how your story starts happy, moves to horrifying, then ends happy.

Maleen said...

That sounds so scary. Did the guy really die? Scary to think that your parents were living next to him. Makes you wonder if you really know your neighbors.

Gerb said...

What in the world?? How come we didn't hear about this on the news? SCARY stuff. Well, not the baby shower or the dance. Just that middle part.

Chelle! said...

Maleen--yes, the guy did die.

Gerb--it was on Channel 2--not much was said.