Saturday, August 16, 2008

Speed, strength and endurance


Speed, strength and endurance is the common three words that come to mind each time I watch the Olympics. All week long, I have enjoyed screaming, cheering, crying and watching Team USA. It has been great. Like I have said before, I love listening to the stories that the media shares about the athletes. I am sure that these athletes have good days and bad days--but the thing that they have in common with each other is that they do not give up. One of the events that we watched tonight was the Women's marathon. I was so impressed with Great Britain's Paula Radcliffe. She ran in the marathon, this evening, with a stress fracture in left thigh bone. She stopped one time for a few seconds and then, started running again. She finished the race--running and limping. What an amazing athlete!!




WOW!! Then, Dara Torres (41 year old swimmer) takes 2 silvers in only an hour!! She is amazing!!! I think that she had 4 minutes from the medal stand to the warm-up area. They asked her how she had changed her focus from the stand to the race--she said that she had 5 coaches in her ears talking to her and getting her focus in line.


I loved her comment when they were interviewing her. They asked her what she is going to tell her daughter (later in life when she can understand) and she replied, "I'll tell her you don't have to put an age limit on your dreams." I loved that. It is true!!

Then, of course, the greatest event tonight (at least in my eyes) was when Phelps grasped another Gold medal--totaling 8. It was great!! He is amazing!!! Speed, strength and endurance--yes, it spells Michael Phelps. What a great triumph!!! Mostly, I think that I was impressed that how this team really worked together. They were a team!!! When everyone was cheering
Phelps because he received his 8 Gold Medal, he turned to his teammates and told them that they made it possible for him to achieve this amazing goal. How great of a team player is that? A GREAT ONE!!

Then, you have to add how he treats his mom. I think that it is great. The way that he looks for her after each race. He is amazing. I do have to add that Moms are great. They are our own personal cheerleaders. AND what we have seen of Michael Phelps' mom--she DEFINITELY is his cheerleader.






GO TEAM USA!!!


1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

I also watched the women's marathon last night! I can't believe the endurance that these women have to have to run that long in such a short time. I'm psyched the USA is representing this year!