Saturday, October 27, 2007

Have you created a back-up?


Well, this morning, I needed to check on something on my computer--okay, the real thing is that I needed to log onto http://www.mapquest.com/ and find directions to a particular address. I am 100% addicted to mapquest. I am not the greatest address finder--so, I am eternally grateful for billionaire who developed mapquest and the "get directions" button on the internet. Bless his soul!!!

Anyway, I turn on my computer and then, all of a sudden-I get an error and a blue screen. At work, the blue screen is aka. "THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!" I start to panic for when you receive the "blue screen of death" on your computer moniter--you know that you had better have some back-up to all the files on your computer or it is hopeless. My heart dropped-that feeling when you know that you have not back-uped any files for--let's just say-NEVER!!! So, I am panicing--years of daily journal entries, pictures, receipts for taxes, and everything that contains importance items that create the "Michelle World".


Side note: 2 years ago, I had to teach a class at our annual meetings on I was asked to teach a class on security with computers. A huge emphasis was the importance of creating a back-up of ALL the information on your computer. Oh, my goodness!!! You would think that if I taught it, I should practice it!!


So, a quick call to my Mom for directions to my destination and a quick run down of what happened on my computer and I was on my way. Anyway, after a very busy day, my cool dad came to my rescue!!! Of course, he had to ask me if when my last back-up was created. "UM!! NEVER!!" But, like I said, he came to my rescue AGAIN!!! He fixed my computer--the blue-screen of death is gone and my files are now all restored and I am a happy camper!! Yep, I have the coolest dad ever!!! Thanks Dad!!

So, I ask you--"When did you create your last back-up?"

2 comments:

Maleen said...

No kidding. Computer problems are the worst in the world. You want to shoot your machine and yourself for ever getting one. It is not pretty in our household when one of the hard drives fails. Let's just leave it at that.

Gerb said...

What's a back up?