Wednesday, October 10, 2007

goodbye Lodda


Sometimes we find ourselved doing things that are really difficult to do. On Tuesday, my friend Vieve said goodbye to her loyal friend-Lodda. Lodda has been apart of her life for 15 years. She has been a loyal friend to her. It is so interesting how we can develop a relationship with an animal that patterns the relationships that we have with our family and friends. Then, when we have to decide the fate of this animal, we are completely 100% devastated. I think that is one of my reasons why I admire pets from a far.

For instance, when I was living on campus, one of my roommates was going home for a vacation. But, she had a serious dilema--she had a goldfish that she was taking care of for one of her classes. The grade that she would receive would determine on the life of this goldfish. She asked if I could take care of this interesting orange colored goldfish. Our study habits were pretty close to each other (Crystal and mine-that is), so she knew that I would be equally serious about this goldfish. Well, let me tell you...I have never lived in so much fear--okay, that is definitely a lie, I have experienced worse fear than that. But, this type of fear was near the top of the list.

Each day, I would arrive home, I would sneak--yes, I would sneak into the bedroom and tip toe over to the fish bowl. Okay, I am not sure why I would sneak and tip toe--but it helped with the fear. Then, I would squint at the bowl to make sure that it was still alive. This went on for the first 4 days of her vacation. I was so glad that when day 5 came, the goldfish was still alive. WHEW!!! Okay, not really.

Back to the original story, Vieve and her family had to put Lodda to sleep. Vieve came back to work and told me that Lodda is now running and playing on a farm with all the other friends that passed away before him. I guess, that is probably the best way to look at it.

4 comments:

KAYBUG said...

coooooolllll!!!!!!

why did your friend have to say good-bye to her friend(dog)



****bye****

julie said...

Yes our attachment is strong to animals we love, tears still spring to my eyes when I think of our cat that has been gone almost 2 years. We had him 13 years during which times our kids grew to adulthood. Yes michelle I also was responsible for a friends pet for 2 days in which he ran away 3 times. lucky for you the gold fish was contained. it is a worry. Pets are part of us.

Cami said...

I had a beta fish named Lester when Rob and I were first married, and living in a basement apartment in Orem.

Apparently Lester was not a happy fish. I came home from work one day and found him laying in the kitchen sink drain (his home was right next to the sink), barely breathing. I put him back in the water, and hoped he would be okay.

The next morning I found him floating belly up in his little home. Yes, somehow Lester had decided that his life was not worth living and took matters into his own fins.

Gerb said...

I had a hamster named Peanut.

My friends were hamster-sitting for 2 days and their apartment caught fire.

No more Peanut.

The End.