Sunday, October 7, 2007

Circles taste YUCKY!!!

Have you ever looked back on life and tried to figure out why you do something the way that you do? Or say the things you say? Or maybe eat or not eat something because of some incident in life? Have you ever noticed that the way food tastes depends on the way that it looks? Well, when I was a little girl and still to this moment in time--I do not eat circle foods. You probably had to reread that sentence again, so I will state it again. I do not eat circle foods. Why? I knew that you were going to ask. The word that describes how they taste is "YUCKY". Basically, if you change a circle into a square or an oval or a rectangle, it will taste so much better. YES!! I have a huge aversion to circle foods.

See, here is the story....when I was a little girl, a UFO landed in our backyard and I looked out my bedroom window and all I could see was this GIGANTIC CIRCLE. It frightened me--so much that I declared that I would never eat anything that resembles that scary memory. Okay, I know, that was not true. There was never a UFO.
So, it might have been...actually, I am not sure when all of this started nor do I remember the reason behind it. It just happened. I have had lots of people try to analyze my "circle phobia", but have not had any luck. Basically, people just think that I am CRAZY!!! I do admit that it is kind of strange, but not as CRAZY as some people think.
Have you ever noticed how many food items are circles? Probably, you have never thought of that question before--but humor me and think of it? Lots of foods come in the forms of circles. I am not the type of person that usually introduces myself "Hi, my name is Michelle and I do not eat circle foods." Okay, I did introduce myself that way to a group of Young Women Leaders and Stake Youth Leaders for camp. But, in the social part of life, you just try to keep this little bit of insanity to yourself. But, sometimes it does happen to get out.

You might ask, how do I handle the whole circle aversion. Well, I do not try to bring attention to myself when eating any kind of food. If it is a circle, I can use my knife and cut it in half or in a square. So, this is where I declare my gratitude to the inventor of the knife. THANK YOU KNIFE MAN. He, the knife man, has saved me in so many difficult social situations. If there is not a knife handy and I am unable to tear it apart with my hands (without anyone noticing), then, I just push it to side of the plate and let "Mr. Garbage" have his handle at it. Personally, I think he likes anything.
So, you might understand the anxiety that I must have felt when invited to a "Kabob" barbecue. As, I approached the table, all I saw was CIRCLES!!!! Everything had been cut in circles, not squares or rectangles, but CIRCLES. But, looking around, I found "Mr. Knife!" All I can say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU MR. KNIFE FOR SAVING ME, ONCE AGAIN!! So, I placed all of the circle foods on my skewer and placed it on the barbecue.

Then, it was finally cooked and ready to eat. I grabbed my knife and cut everything that I needed to into squares and triangles. It ended up being the most delicious kabob ever!!! Yes, my young women friends found me to be a tad bit crazy, but I proposed the question, "Don't you think that 'circle' foods taste YUCKY?!! They taste much better when they are cut into squares, rectangles, triangles, etc...definitely NOT CIRCLES!!




4 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're crazy. All foods taste the same-regardless of shape.
But now I know to give you knives for Christmas.

Cami said...

I didn't know that circles taste differently than triangles or squares of the same food. I'll have to start paying better attention. Usually I just scarf down my cold dinner (as a mom you never get to eat a warm meal) before another major disaster occurs.

Gerb said...

Oh, Michelle, you make me so happy. Keep the posts coming, your blog is my favorite.

And, down with evil circle foods!

Maleen said...

I have to agree. I knew you were marvelous, but reading each blog entry, I had no idea how wonderfully weird and crazy you actually are. I love it. My kids love you too which is enough for me, but now I have many new reasons to think you are just awesome.