Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I did not need the angry eyes after all.



April 15th showed up on the calendar today. It comes around every year. It is a day we wait for and some plan with excitement, others call it their "dreaded day". Yes, it is TAX DAY!! As for me, I am grateful when the clock strikes midnight. The sound of the midnight chime is a chime that I look forward to every April 15th. I HATE TAX DAY!!! When the clock chimes MIDNIGHT, it is a relief because for me there is no more entering numbers, and then re-entering numbers and no more worrying.

It is not that I procrastinate—I work on my taxes from the moment that the W2’s are mailed to that blessed day of April 15th. I have to have everything is in its proper place and on its proper form, but I keep going over everything over and over again. Maybe I can chalk it up to having a love for numbers…really, I don’t think that is it. Then, I could say that I want to keep my money until the very last minute—but, that really isn’t the case. So, I think it is the side of me that everything has be done in its proper time and its proper order.

Last year, my Mom and I dropped by the East Bay Post Office at 8:30 PM to mail my taxes. There were only a couple of people in line and my Mom and I only waited approximately 2 or 3 minutes. I was expecting a HUGE line and a HUGE party going on. But, that was not the case. I kind of felt sad...oh, well, my thought was "maybe next year".

As for tonight…I went through my taxes one more time, printed off the important and proper paperwork, wrote the checks needed, and addressed the envelopes. Then, I stuffed the envelopes with the proper paperwork and....my angry eyes! Yep, you never know when you might need those angry eyes. I love the quote in Toy Story 2 when Mrs. Potato Head says to Mr. Potato Head, "I'm packing your extra pair of shoes, and your angry eyes just in case." It is always a good thing to be prepared!!

I arrived at the Post Office at 10:00 PM. The parking lot was full--I was glad that I packed those angry eyes. I just knew that I was going to need them. I stepped inside the building and there was a long line. But, guess what? Once inside the lobby, the line was not too bad and the clerk was full of smiles and laughter. WOW!!! Then, I remembered that I had packed my angry eyes--Guess what? I did not need them. I think I will save them for another day. The whole process was painless and lasted about 10 minutes. HMM!! All in all, Tax day was not that bad this year!!


6 comments:

Deanne said...

Congrats! I'm glad you didn't have a need for your angry eyes!

julie said...

i think being prepared in all things, if we do not have expectations of everything being okay we are not disappointed, the angry eyes did not need to come out. the clerk inside helped with her positive attitude. you should be proud, you got them done.

Ker said...

Hey dont mess with chelle! No evil eyes! No really, I cant imagine you getting mad or giving that angry eye...Oh wait a minute I have seen you mad once. LOL

¡Vieve! said...

Woo hoo! 364 days until the next tax time-so you can relax. Put those eyes in your desk at work (hey, you might need them!) and enjoy the time away from numbers.

Maleen said...

Tax day? Was it here already? This is the first year I didn't do taxes, so I was a little surprised when tax day came and went. It is a good thing Tyler did them. Well, if I were in charge I probably would have been more on the ball. As is, no numbers for me this year.

Traci said...

I just have to say, you always make my day. :) Wow, I didn't mean to write a poem.