Saturday, February 2, 2008

oh...did I say it was cold?

My niece called me and was telling me that she really wanted to go to President Hinckley's viewing. So, the thought popped into my head--if she wants to see President Hinckley, then lets go for it. I texted one of my friends who works in the Church Adminstration building and asked her how long the wait was--not too long-in fact it was quite short. My roommate had gone the day before and it was only 20 minutes to park, walk to the Conference Center and then return back to their car. So, I picked up Kaylie and we were on our way. We parked my car at the Sandy Civic Center and boarded TRAX!! This was a new adventure for Kaylie. She talked and talked. She was so excited and her talking was continuous during the ride to Salt Lake City. Her excitement of this event radiated around her.

We arrived at the Conference Center at 5:05 pm--and this is what awaited us....


It definitely was not a 20 minute wait...we waited in the cold for over 3 hours. YES!!! 3 hours. It was so cold. We were not prepared for what we had to endure. In fact, there were a lot of people not prepared for what was taken place. The temperature and the wind was almost unbearable.


Every 15 minutes or so, I would ask Kaylie if she wanted to head back to Provo. Everytime, she would say that she was okay. It was not until we had waited in the cold for 3 hours that the cold turned Kaylie to tears--huge tears. Since the beginning of our waiting period, we had been right behind some BYU students (3 guys and 2 girls). They were really nice. In fact, they were truly life savers that last 30 minutes. I kept asking Kaylie if she was ready to turn back...even through the tears...she still wanted to wait. One of the guys in the group took his coat off and wrapped Kaylie in it. Then he said, "It is Kaylie Sandwich Time!" At that moment, the group of people that we were standing with, closed the circle around Kaylie and tried to get her a little warmer. I am thankful so thankful for those sweet BYU students. We huddled together and then, finally...after 3 1/2 hours of waiting outside, we were able to enter the conference center. Once inside, we were able to at least THAW OUT. Kaylie grabbed my hand and said, "Chelle, this is where I want to be." At that moment, I knew that we had endured the cold just so that a 11 year-old girl could see the Prophet.



Then, we were taken to the inside of the Conference center where we were seated for approximately 2 more hours. We were able watch a Tribute to President Hinckley. At one moment, the guy that is over all the events for the church came over and talked to us. He said that they had filled the lower level of the Conference Center 10 times today. He was talking to us about the Prophet. It was really interesting and fascinating to listen to him. He told us that there were 2 refrigerated Semi's outside full of flowers for the funeral and that the florists that were there arranging the flowers would be there until 6am Saturday morning. WOW!!!



At around 10:45 pm, we were led out of the Conference Center and taken to the Hall of Prophets. Words can not describe the feeling as we passed by President Hinckley's casket. It was amazing and incredible!! What a wonderful man!! Once outside the Hall of Prophets, Kaylie said, "This was worth it!!" She commented on how she could not remember the cold and how glad she was to be there and to see him. I would have to say, "It was worth the wait!!"


I will deeply miss President Hinckley. He is an amazing man. He taught me the importance of serving our fellow man, being kind, having gratitude and faith. Both his example and words helped me find the focus of my life, the quality of my character. I am grateful to have the opportunity to attend his viewing and see it through a sweet little nieces eyes. If everyone could have seen the look in her eyes as she passed by his casket, they would know that he truly was a Prophet--her eyes bore testimony of it!!!

6 comments:

Ker said...

OK- That was very tender, and you are amazing to endure the cold. I totally felt the spirit as I read your experience. You were suppose to be there so that she could experience that spirit.

¡Vieve! said...

I'm glad you guys could brave the cold to get to see all that! And good for K to get to go after the bad day she was having!

Maleen said...

I think Kaylie will remember the experience even more because of the cold and the service of those around her. I am so glad you were both able to go.

Deanne said...

I'm so glad you went. The funeral was so amazing, and such a wonderful tribute to President Hinckley. I can only imagine the feeling that was there. Thanks for sharing!

Gerb said...

Beautiful story of a special experience between a young girl, her amazing aunt and a prophet of the Lord.

Cami said...

I'm all teary-eyed right now. What a sweet experience for Kaylie and her most amazing aunt.

God bless those BYU students for taking care of your sweet niece.