Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hey, Michelle do you want to go on a DATE with me?

So, my friend, Keri, has encouraged us to share some sort of an amusing story about us. Well, I have been thinking about this for quite sometime--every day is some sort of an amusing story. So, it has been extremely difficult to find just one. Tonight, I was at a Purse Party and was listening to a college student share her latest date experience. I am not going to share that story, but it brought me to thinking about my college days. I have to admit--those were the most funnest (is that a word) times of my life. Okay, I do have a lot of fun now, but some of those crazy memories will always make me laugh and giggle until there is no end. Boy, do I miss those crazy days!!!



Anyway, back to the story. I was living at Alta apartments. At the time, I had 5 other roommates--which I might add--WE DID EVERYTHING TOGETHER. We studied, we ate, we shopped, we laughed, we talked, we visited other apartments together--so do you get it? The 6 of us were always together.



So, let me share with you the story--that was completely humiliating at the time of realization--but makes me laugh extremely hard now later in life. If you have been on BYU off-campus housing, the living room is in the front, then the kitchen and then there is a door that leads to 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms. This particular event, I was sitting in the living room talking with a friend. My other 4 roommates were at a meeting at church. So, that leaves me with 1 roommate at home--Liz. Okay, so the phone rings, Liz answers it. About 5 minutes later, she yells that the phone is for me. I answer it--this is how it goes...



"Hello!"

"Hi, Michelle, this is Brad."

"Hi Brad."

"Hey, do you want to go to the fireside tonight?"

"Sure-that would be great."



Liz enters the room and says that she is going to her parents home for dinner.



"How about I come over at 6:15. It will give us enough time to walk to the fireside."

"Great-see you at 6:15."



Brad hangs up. My 4 roommates arrive home and I inform them...



"Hey, Brad called. He is going with us to the fireside."



At 6:15 pm, there is a knock at the door. It is Brad-prompt as always. My roommate, Ang, answers the door. She comes into my room and tells me that Brad is here and she says:



"Michelle, I think it is a date."

"Oh, no, it is not a date. He called and talked with Liz and since, Liz was not going to the fireside, he probably asked who was going."

"No. Michelle, I really think it is a date."

"To a fireside, I don't think so. Just hurry and get ready and lets go."



Nikki walks in....



"Michelle, I really think that Brad thinks that he is going out with you tonight."



By this time, I am laughing..."No, he doesn't. It is not a date."



So, I walk out to the living room and say hi to Brad. Then, I turn to my roommates and tell them "let's go."



We walk to the fireside--5 girls and Brad. I am not really noticing the fact that Brad keeps trying to maneuver his way next to me. I guess, I was so clueless. We get to the fireside, they ask Brad to say the opening prayer and ask me to say the closing prayer. Brad made some kind of comment about how ironic it was that couple on a date would be asked to say the prayers. I looked him and said, "What are you talking about?"



OK, at this point, I still did not clue in. We found a bench. There was not enough room for Brad to sit with us. I wanted to sit with my roommates, so he sat across the isle from us.



No, I still did not clue in.



After, the fireside, he walked me (plus my 4 roommates home) and told me that he had brought some ice cream and sundae toppings for us to eat. I told him--great and then asked, "can I go get my friend, Dave. Dave and I were planning to play games later, but I am sure we can have some ice cream with you, first."



I could not figure out why Brad was so rude to us while we were eating ice cream. My roommates were having bits of hysterical laughing and had to leave the room. NO!! I did not clue in that Brad had asked me out on a date and I had brought along 4 of my roommates and now, Dave.

ONE WEEK LATER...YES!!! I did, FINALLY, clue in. (After I read the most detailed rendition of our DATE that Brad had wrote in a letter to me. Believe me, it was not very nice!) I have never been more mortified to find out that it was a date. Why did he not tell me that in the first place? Have you ever heard--Hey, Michelle, do you want to go on a DATE with me?



A couple of months later, he had forgiven me enough to hear my side of the story. My points to the story was...he hung out with all of us all the time, we served as FHE Mom & Dad together--so he was always over at my apartment planning, we all studied together, we all shopped together, see I thought Brad was just one of us. Who would have thought he would ask one of us on a real date?

(exerpt from Michelle's journal)

6 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

I can't believe you were on a date and you didn't realize it! At least you got to explain your side of things-and yes, he probably should have clarified when he asked you.

Maleen said...

Poor Brad, but that is really funny. The best part is when you invited Dave over. Poor, poor Brad. Did he ever ask you out again?

Gerb said...

Oh, Michelle. Please tell me more dating stories!

This is hilarious!!

Ker said...

OK So my computer has been down, and I was laughing like crazy at your story! I LOVE IT! So whatever happened to Brad?

Traci said...

Poor Brad. That was hilarious!

Deanne said...

You little heart breaker, you! It just goes to show how amazingly kind you are to invite all your friends with you--male and female.