Saturday, July 25, 2009

I can do scary things!

PREFACE:

On Thursday, my dad had knee surgery.  Dr. Smith planned on doing a simple procedure but, when he started poking around in my dad’s knee, he found more then he expected. He had to repair three tears, shave off some blister type things, and cut off a flap of some sort.  When Dr. Smith was finished with surgery, he brought pictures out to my mom  and I. He, thoroughly, explained each step of the surgery.  Dr. Smith is amazing!! 

Anyway, Dad a few complications during surgery.  Overall, everything went great.  He will have a 5 week recovery time. 

Mom drove Dad home and I ran to the pharmacy to pick up his medication.  Anyway, when I arrived at my parent’s home, my mom was in a panic.  Their family room was flooded.  Their air conditioner hose broke and water was every where.  My brothers came and spliced the hose together. (I am not sure what that means). 

The beginning of the story for today: 

Around asphalt-shinglesnoon, I received a phone call from my mom.  She said that they had another flood and that the air conditioner was broken, AGAIN!  She said that she was on her way to Home Depot to pick up some copper tubing and sleeves (I know what these things are used for now.) Immediately, I told my mom that if Dad could tell me how to fix it step by step, I think I could do it. 

After I told my mom that I could fix it, the thought came to mind…I AM DEATHLY AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!!  What was I thinking?  My heart started pumping hard, I started getting all sweaty and nervous.  Yes, this is even before I left my house. 

The end of the story…I did climb up on the roof.  Yes, it was terrifying.  Dad did walk me through step by step on how to fix the air conditioner.  It did work when I was finished.  Yes, there were a few times, I thought that I was going to plummet to my death.  BUT, now, I know I can do hard things!!!

Michelle

P.S.  I am still deathly afraid of heights.

3 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

I can't believe you did all that! I guarantee I would have been wetting my pants. Your parents are lucky to have you there for them!

Gerb said...

You are constantly amazing me, Michelle. Is there anything you can't do? I think not.

Ammie said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! Are you serious?? That is amazing! Good job!