Thursday, April 28, 2011

It was the cinnamon!

Late last night, I was wanting a treat.  I looked in the refrigerator and there wasn’t anything that sounded exciting.  Then, I looked in the pantry…nothing!.  I was really wanting something…just wasn’t sure exactly what it was.  Once upon a time, I had treats dropped off at my home quite frequently…I never had to think of what I wanted to snack on because it was always there.  But…tonight was a different story.  I checked the refrigerator again…nothing too appealing.  Then, the thought popped into my head…Delicious Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars.  Now…that sounded mighty tasty.

 0428111358-00 (2)

So, I whipped up batch and waited for them to bake.  The smell was heavenly.  The buzzer dinged and it was time to take them out of the oven.  I tasted that delicious gooiness.  Yes, it was almost heaven…but there was something missing.  I couldn’t figure it out.  They were delicious but I just could not pin point why they were different. 

Fast forward a few hours….I was studying this morning and came across a quote…”Scripture study is like cinnamon.  It doesn’t take very much cinnamon to flavor a whole recipe and make it taste good.  It just takes a little scripture study to make our whole day good.  Heavenly Father knows we don’t have hours to spend studying each day.  He will magnify the effort we make.  He will teach us and fill us with power as we dedicate time each day to studying and pondering the His word. Believe that opening the scriptures opens your life to light and power from on high.” ~Hilary Weeks

As I pondered on this quote…It was the cinnamon…the missing ingredient.  I forgot to add cinnamon.  It doesn’t take much but it does make these Delicious Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars even more tastier.   Just like reading the scriptures a little bit each day…having that effort…our Heavenly Father “will teach us and fill us with power as we dedicate time each day to studying.”   This is what I needed to read…I needed to find this quote. Yes, to figure out that I forgot to add the cinnamon.  But, most of all, to know that our Heavenly Father will teach me and fill me with power as I dedicate time each to studying and learning more about Him and our Savior.

~Michelle

2 comments:

Maleen said...

That was a great post Michelle. That was an excellent reminder, and just what I needed to hear this morning.

¡Vieve! said...

I love that quote. And I loved these bars so much! I wish there was still some left today, so I could enjoy a treat with my breakfast.