Wednesday, March 18, 2009

laws & obligations


What does it mean to you to be a citizen of the United States? This question has been on my mind for the past several months. My roommate, Melanie, was not a citizen of the United States until 2:23 P.M. today. At 2:23 P.M., her life changed from having to carry her green card and her passport every day to being an American citizen. Not only did her life change, I found a huge change in my life.

Mom, Dad, Melanie and I arrived at the Rose Wagner Theater in Salt Lake City at about 11:52 A.M.. As we stood in the lobby waiting for further instructions, we stood with many people from different lands and different walks of life. I felt a sense of excitement--an excitement for these people who have worked so long and hard to accomplish a huge goal. All these people were coming together to unite in one event--to become citizens of the United States. FREEDOM.

Then the instructions began. Those that were awaiting their citizenship formed a line and those that were there to celebrate with them stayed in the lobby. My mom, dad and I were chatting with an "important" person (lady in dark blue suit with a walkie talkie). She was explaining to us the whole process of events that were going to take place. She explained that US Marshalls were securing the building and sweeping the room for terrorists, bombs, spies and other such things. I immediately said, "WHAT? Why are they doing that? Do they worry about bombs, terrorists, and spies during a naturalization ceremony." She explained that this is a very serious event and when the Federal Agents are finished securing the room--the room would become and act as a Federal Court Room.

Finally, we entered the Federal Court Room and watched as those seeking citizenship paraded into the room. WOW!! It was the most incredible feeling. Then, the proceedings started.

Judge Sam Alba was Federal Judge that was assigned to this event. After the posting of the colors, the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem, we listened to two young boys give their essays on the Gettysburg's address. Those two boys were amazing. They were from the challenger school in West Point. AMAZING! Then, the time was turned over to the Staff Attorney to conduct the Naturalization ceremony. It was powerful!!

Then, Judge Alba spoke. He spoke on the freedom, the laws and then he directed the rest of his remarks to obligations--our obligations to the laws, to the freedoms, to our family members, to our friends and to each other. The words that he spoke were powerful. Mary (one of our friends that came to the ceremony) and I said at the same time--our youth need to hear him speak. He was amazing. But, then my thoughts turned to those that I associate with-whether it is in church or work or home--they need to hear him speak. Then, I started thinking of myself. I needed to hear the words that he spoke today. They were extremely powerful to ME!!

After his remarks, he started calling on those that received their citizenship today. He asked them to share their name, their homeland, how many years they have been working on becoming a citizen and how they felt today. For the next 20 or so minutes, we heard the remarks of people from China, Pakistan, Slovakia, Vietnam, Brazil, Peru and many other places.

One shared of walking into the American Embassy in Beijing and seeing an American Flag for the first time and a Bible. There were many that could hardly speak because their emotions were too overwhelming. As for me, I am indeed grateful for my citizenship in such a great place--a place of FREEDOM

3 comments:

Ammie said...

That would be amazing to witness! I would love to hear and see all that. Yay for freedom!!!

Maleen said...

Wait, where is Melanie from? I don't think I knew that she wasn't a citizen. Good for her getting it all official. I am always proud of people like that.

¡Vieve! said...

How fab for Melanie! And awesome for her that she has support from you guys!