Sunday, May 11, 2008

a book, a card, and a rose


All over the world, the celebration of Mom's is happening today. I should probably end there, but I think that I shall go on...To tell you the honest truth, I really dislike Mother's day. In fact, it is probably the worse holiday that anyone could put on the calendar. I would rather celebrate Arbor Day than that of Mother's day. When Mother's Day comes around each year, I get this yucky ouchy lump in my throat and it lasts all day long. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mother and that is what Mother's day is all about. BUT, the thought of not being the chance to be a Mom is the worse feeling ever and it is not helpful when there is a day--just for that of the celebration of Mom's. Another reason, why is it that we only celebrate our Mom's on just one day out of the year? Shouldn't we celebrate every day because we have a mom that is so dear to us.
Okay...so, this is what I think of Mother's Day...

This is how the day begins...you wake up to the radio--which is playing Mother's day songs and this reminds you (one who does not have children) that you are not going to fit into this realm of life today. Basically, you might as well remember that you are going to be an outcast today. So, you go to church and all the meetings are about Mothers and how important they are--someone reads from the Proclamation about Mothers and then, the rest of their talk is about their sweet wife and how wonderful of a Mother they are and how the Lord trusts them to be moms on this earth. (Please do not ever say that in your talk that you are grateful that the Lord trusts you to be a mom--it just does not sit well with those that are not mothers. So, does that mean that the Lord doesn't trust those that can not bear children? See, that really does not sit well.) Then, that is when the "yucky ouchy lump" gets even bigger. Then, you get the comments from members in the ward, "oh, even though you are not biological mom to someone, you are a mother to every one that you are serving." PLEASE PLEASE do not ever say anything like this to someone who is single or unable to have children. BECAUSE--you know that yucky ouchy lump--it gets even bigger. Plus, do not pretend to know how it feels unless you are experiencing it yourself. It hurts and it is tough...so, please do not pretend. No, I am not trying to get sympathy for all of us that are not mothers--but, just think before you speak. It is difficult being part of a family oriented gospel and being single AND celebrating Mother's day.

Then, the thought of going to your parents home for dinner (don't get me wrong, I love going to my parents) and being reminded that you are not a mom--that yucky ouchy lump is enormous. It does not seem to go away until you go to sleep and wake up the next day and it is not that so-called day.

So, after church today, I went to my parents...feeling that yucky ouchy lump in my throat. But, let me tell you...I have the best Mom ever. In fact, my Mom is amazing. She tries extremely hard to be helpful and mindful of her daughter on such a day as this. I am grateful that she is my Mom. She has such a huge heart. In fact, she reminded me today that life is all about growing and loving each other. She has the kindest heart and would do anything for anyone. I have watched and noticed this all the time I have been growing up. She is the most creative person that I know. She has so many talents and is gifted in so many ways--she is one fabulous person!! She is always there to listen and to share her knowledge and her sweetness. I, truly, am grateful for all that she has done for me in my life. I love you MOM!!!



Anyway, my Mom gave me a book today...Heaven's Touch: A Tribute to Women. It is amazing. The pictures are gorgeous and the thoughts are amazing. A few minutes ago, I sat and looked at the beautiful pictures and read the precious words. My mom knew what I needed today. She, also, gave each of my sister-in-laws the same book. I hope that they cherish it as much as I do. This book is powerful and so full of comfort to any one's heart. Thanks Mom for picking out this precious book to comfort my heart. I love you very much.


Then, the day progressed and in walks my niece, Linds. Lindsie has the sweetest heart. I just love her so much. Anyway, she gave me a beautiful red rose and the sweetest card. On the front it said, "Happy Mothers day to my Aunt" and inside was the precious note from her. Her words really touched my heart. Thanks Linds for thinking of me on this day!!! I love you tons!!!

Later during the day, I was in the kitchen by myself (I think I was checking the baked beans or something like that) when my brother comes and hands me a card. It was so sweet. I am grateful for family that understands how difficult this day is for me.

So, tonight as I think about the day and think about the cherished moments with my family, that yucky ouchy lump in my throat is not so enormous.

2 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

Aw, sweets. I'm sad you had a rough day! Thank goodness you have a family that loves you though!

julie said...

I love the things you said about your mom, yes chel, i have been there. It has been a while but i still have memories of those feelings. I do feel your pain.