Friday, May 3, 2013

Comic relief at the gym…

2013-05-02_05.07.46 (1)

I provided comic relief for everyone that was near me at the gym bright and early this morning.  I am humiliated but as I am writing this entry, I am laughing and the humiliation is disappearing.  Would you like to hear my adventure this morning?  When I am on the treadmill, I usually read.  I prop my kindle up and read.  It passes the time quite nicely.  But the past few mornings (well, it has been quite some time) I have woke up feeling a tad bit nauseous.  I have noticed that as I am reading, the nausea intensifies. 

So, this morning on the way to the gym,  I decided to watch a TV show hoping that it would help with the nausea.  Yes, this is all going through my brain at the bright early time of FIVE AM.  My friend, Vieve, has been telling me that this particular show is something that I should watch.  I wouldn’t be focusing on words, I would be focusing on the people on the screen.  Makes sense, right?  Ok…at 5:00 in the morning, not much really makes sense. 

Sidenote:  Vieve screens all my TV shows and my movies.  She tells me if they are “Michelle appropriate”. She has taken on this task and keeps me informed with what I should watch and not watch. Bless her heart. clip_image001

Back to the story…I put my headphones in my ears, plug them into my kindle and I click play.  I start to watch this show and for some reason I lose focus of everyone around me.  When I first arrived at the gym, there were three people in front of me, Vieve next to me and a lady in a gray sweatshirt one down from where Vieve is running.  Yes, I am USUALLY aware of all my surroundings.  I make sure that I know who is in front of me, who is in back of me and who is on each side of me.  I have this weird curiosity that has to know those things…or it puts me completely out of my comfort zone.   

Ok…back to the story…For some reason, I lose focus of everything around me. This TV show has me enticed. I am not aware of anything going on around me. They could have cleared the place and I wouldn’t even have known. So, it is about 30 minutes into the show, when something happens on the screen. 

I jump.

I scream.

I almost fall off of the treadmill. 

It wasn’t until I looked to the left of me and there was a girl in green shorts that jumps off of the treadmill next to me and moves down the row from me.  I look at Vieve and I feel this complete panic go through me like a lightning bolt.  I was mortified.  Who jumps, screams and almost falls of the treadmill while watching a TV show…at the gym? Apparently, I do.

The good news…I didn’t realize that I had spent 45 minutes on the treadmill without even knowing it. HUZZAH!  My nausea did not intensify.  HUZZAH!  HUZZAH!!  I hope that this happens again tomorrow…not the humiliation part but the not-realizing-that-I-am-working-out-part.

Life is good and I am grateful that I can provide comic relief to all those around me.

 

~Michelle

3 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

I'm still dying laughing when I remember/think of this! It was so unnerving to hear someone scream at the gym, much less the person next to me, and I'm just so grateful it was the show and not you dying and falling off!

I will continue to take my duties as movie/tv show screener seriously.

Gerb said...

Oh, Michelle - you make me smile!

Angela said...

im wondering what you were watching you are so funny