Friday, March 22, 2013

A simple prompting…a powerful lesson

atm-keypad-580-75

I had planned on doing something tonight but for reason or another, it didn’t happen. Instead I found myself thinking. Thinking about experiences, thinking about life, thinking about people…just basically thinking. I opened my journal and began to leaf through the pages. As I read, my heart was touched with so much gratitude for the many things that I have learned throughout my life ranging from people that I have met, situations I have been in and most of all the experiences that I have felt with my heart.

Tonight, I would like to share with you one experience that happened a couple of months ago. As I think back to that day, my heart feels with so much gratitude not because of what I experienced but what I learned. I still remember what I was doing, where I was when one of the most amazing tutoring sessions happened. It definitely has been part of my heart.

Leading up to this particular moment, life had been pretty hectic and I felt like I was being pulled here and there. I had so much on my mind and so many people needing me to do things that I hadn’t had a moment to myself in quite a few days. Finally, I was alone in my home. It was quiet and peaceful. As I took a moment to sit down and ponder the many things that I had going through my mind, my thoughts turned to a dear friend of mine. I had a strong impression that I needed to share three things with her. But knowing that it would be easier to have her contact me than having me contact her, I began to pray.

Our friendship had been a tad bit rocky. I will be the first to admit that I can be stubborn at times. Believe me; I know that I can be stubborn. It isn’t a quality that I am proud of but at least I know that I can admit it. Anyway, over the years, I have realized that if there is a conflict in our friendship, I need to be patient and let her make the first step. When she does make that step, we can (usually) have a productive conversation and work things out. On the other hand, if I make the call, the defense flags are thrown high in the air…not only by her but by me too. It is so much easier when she makes the call.

So…like I said before, I began to pray. I asked that she would feel a prompting to call me. I knew that I needed to share three things with her. The evening progressed and I still hadn’t received a phone call. I continued to pray. Each time I did, I felt like I needed to wait. Wait for her to call. I waited and waited.

As I was getting ready for bed, I had a thought to send her an email containing the three things that I felt prompted to share. I sat down with my laptop and begin to write. The words came freely. I poured out my heart. I emailed it to her, turned my laptop off, and quietly climbed into bed. I had been asleep for a couple of hours when I heard my phone chime letting me know that I had an email waiting in my inbox.

I opened the email and read her response. She said that she had had a prompting to call me. In fact, she said that she had scrolled down to my name and all she had to do was hit the call button but instead, she closed her phone and chose not to call. I could feel the tears starting to flow as I read her email. I became angry…angry that she would ignore a prompting. I was so confused. I know that I needed to share things with her. Feelings of sadness, anger, and confusion swept over me. I couldn’t understand why someone would ignore a prompting. I was angry at her. I was confused. I couldn’t sleep. I had to do something. I went downstairs and started to clean an already clean kitchen. As I was sweeping the floor for the billionth time, I had this amazing peaceful feeling come over me. It was incredible. I was gently reminded that my prayers had been listened to and that the Spirit had directed the prompting to my dear friend but she chose not to act on it.

Then, I heard quietly within in my mind and gently in my heart…I have given everyone their free agency, what they do with it, is up to them. We all have our free agency. We can choose to act on promptings or not. As I pondered the thoughts that filled my mind and entered in my heart, I realized that my prayers had been answered. He had delivered the prompting but it was not acted upon. I did what I was supposed to do. He didn’t let me down.

Why was I angry? I didn’t have any reason to be angry. I had heeded to the prompting that I received and I shared with my friend the three things that I felt inspired to share. I was prompted therefore; I acted. I did not need to be angry or feel any type of sadness. I was so grateful for the peace that I felt.

As I have pondered this experience time and time again, I know that I have been taught a great lesson. How many times have I received a prompting and ignored it? How many times have I been too frightened to act upon it? Were those promptings to do something or to say something an answer to someone’s plea to our Heavenly Father for help? I know that since this experience, I have tried to act on the promptings that I have received. I know that some have been way out of my comfort zone and others have been simple in task but I know that they have been promptings…promptings which have helped me understand who I am. Some are simple promptings that may be answers to others prayers. I am so grateful for this amazing experience. It has definitely helped me gain a stronger relationship with our Heavenly Father.

~Michelle

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

What an amazing story. Such a comfort it must have been to know that Heavenly Father was thinking of you, helping you, but how sad that this friend didn't do the simple thing of hitting the send button. At least know you know you are loved on high. :)