Friday, September 11, 2009

Lisa…

n1242702701_44647_859 At the beginning of this week,  I received news that a dear friend, Lisa,  had been admitted to UVRMC in the Intensive Care Unit.  She has been COURAGEOUSLY fighting lung cancer for the past four years.   

On Wednesday morning, Vieve, Russell and I went to visit her.  When I walked into the room, there was an amazing sense of peace…on the other hand, it was the most heart wrenching moment.  She was hooked up to a ventilator and was having a difficult time breathing.  I think that I counted 8 different tubes coming out of her little body.   Her daughter was sitting by her side rubbing her hand. 

As we walked in, Lisa opened her eyes and tried to lift her hand to wave.  During our visit with her, she opened her eyes only a few times.  It was so heart wrenching.  As I left, she squeezed my hand.  How I wish that I would have known that was the last time I would see her alive.  I will remember that squeeze for the rest of my life—that tender sweet squeeze. 

On Thursday, Lisa passed from this life to loving arms awaiting her on the other side.  I can imagine that sweet and glorious reunion that took place.  She is freed from the pain and suffering that has attacked her body for the past 4 years.  Lisa, I love you and will miss you dearly.  You were an example of courageous faith to me that I will never will forget! 

Michelle

4 comments:

Ammie said...

Wow, To be apart of such a special moment. I'm glad that she is done suffering and like you said, Is being met by loved ones on the other side.
It's still so hard to say goodbye.

Angela said...

wow how sad what a special moment for you

¡Vieve! said...

I still can't believe how long she fought. How awesome she is!

julie said...

Your have shared your love for her and her family. Every step of the way you were able to give them encouragement. You have inspired me.