Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day in Utah!!


Yesterday, my niece-Kaylie, called and asked when we were going to do a sleepover. I told her--anytime. She said, "How about tonight?" Since, I had planned taking of today from work, I agreed. So, my 2 nieces, Kaylie and Brylie slept over at my house. Of course, it was great fun.

I woke up this morning in a warm bed thinking about the pioneers coming across the plains. Maybe the thinking came from sharing a bed with my 2 nieces. Anyway, the pioneers settled the valley on July 24, 1847. While they crossed the plains on foot and covered wagons, I am so grateful for today's modern conveniences. I do not have to walk--only when I desire to do so. I get to sleep in my bed--all comfy and warm. But, I am indeed grateful for the Pioneers and for all that they gave up to come and settle in the West.
Spanish Fork has a huge celebration all week long--every 24th of July. It is known as Fiesta Days. There are lots of events such as carnivals, rodeos, parades and lots more to do throughout the week. So, earlier this week, Mom, Shad, Jessica, Shyanne (Jessica's little sister) and I went to the Fiesta Days Rodeo. We were sad that Dad was not able to come--he had to work. Anyway, I have not been to a rodeo for such a long time. I was trying to count back and I think it has been close to 10 years. If I remember correctly, rodeo's have not changed.


(Mom, Shad, Jessica and Shyanne)





(Shad & Jessica)



(Jessica & Shyanne)



We were there for the pre-show which included Mutton Bustin' (I think that was what it was called). It is when little children (both boys and girls) get on a sheep and ride. Well, there was this cutest little boy. He hopped right on, held on with one hand and put the other hand in the air. He rode clear across the arena. The clowns grabbed him and put him in the air and he waved to the crowd. It was so darling!!! After the pre-show, they had plane jumpers--they were awesome!!!









(this one was carrying the US Flag)



There were many events such as calf roping, steer wrestling, bareback riding, barrel racing and trailer racing. Oh, the the trailer racing was a hoot!!! But, my all-time favorite is Bull Riding. I get this adrenal rush--I think it is because I get so scared for the cowboys that get on those ugly, mean, huge bulls. YIKES!!!


As for today, Mom, Jessica, Kaylie, Brylie and I went to the parade this morning in Spanish Fork . We enjoyed pancakes, eggs, and ham for breakfast cooked by the Spanish Fork Football team. YUM!! Deliciousness!! Then, we relaxed and watched the parade. It was long and I think that we counted only 6 floats, but it was fun!!


(Brylie--the princess)

(Kaylie reading a book to Brylie)

(Jessica & Brylie)

I thought that I had taken a lot more pictures--but apparently I did not. Afterwards, Mom, Kaylie and I shopped and shopped. It was a great day!!!

Later on, it was time for the fireworks. Mom, Dad, Shad, Jessica, Brylie, Jessica's mom, Scott, Melissa, Kaylie and I went to the old ball park for the fireworks. It was great to be there with family and watch the fireworks. Of course, we were entertained with Kaylie's cartwheel back bend routine and Brylie playing patty cake.


I can't believe that the celebration is over!!! I am looking forward to next year's!!!





2 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

This time of year is fun with all the festivities. I still don't think that Pioneer Day is a holiday-since we don't get it off from work.

Maleen said...

Wow, you have certainly been busy. I need to find out where all these festivities are. Then again, I probably couldn't have gone this year anyway.
The pictures are really cute.